Adaptation of Species and Communities to Climate Change
- International Student Carbon Footprint Challenge from Inquiry2Insight at Stanford University is a great carbon footprint calculator and program designed for schools.
- Migrating Mangroves (link connects to estuaries.noaa.gov) is a NERRS lesson plan about expansion of mangrove forests due to climate change in Texas.
- Estuary Food Web includes a NERRS lesson plan and scientific paper about impacts of climate on estuary food webs (link connects to estuaries.noaa.gov)
- Sea Level Trends climate extension from “Water Going Up, Water Going Down” NERRS lesson plan about tides and water levels (link connects to pdf, for the entire lesson visit: http://estuaries.noaa.gov/Teachers/water.aspx)
Downloads of speakers’ presentations (link to Romberg Tiburon Center website):
- Predators, Prey and Invasions in a Warming World–Brian Cheng (pdf 3.5MB)
- Costs & Consequences of Growing Up in a Warming World–Anne Todgham (pdf 23MB)
- Modeling Sea-level Rise Effects on Tidal Wetland Distributions in the
San Francisco Estuary–Lisa Schile (pdf 5.4MB)
Other Climate Education Programs we like:
- King Tides Photo Initiative – contact us for teacher resources and ideas
- Cool the Earth – action-oriented program for schools
- Alliance for Climate Education – assembly and action program for high schools
Agenda from the Climate Change Guaranteed workshop